Wake up VS Get up in English



WAKE UP: open your eyes and become awake/alert (after a period of sleep)

GET UP: wake up and decide to stay awake for a period of time (and probably leave your bed)

GET OUT OF BED: leave your bed after getting up

EXAMPLE:

This morning, I woke up at 5am because of a loud noise outside, but I went back to sleep and slept until 7:30. Although I got up at 7:30, I was feeling lazy, so I didn't get out of bed until 7:45.

Usually, we use GET UP and WAKE UP interchangeably (to mean the same thing). 

This is because we often open our eyes and decide to stay awake/start our day at the same time.

Every day, I wake up at 7am.

Every day, I get up at 7am.

However, when you wake up and then immediately go back to sleep, that is WAKING UP, but it is not GETTING UP.

Again, GETTING UP means that you decide to stay awake for a period of time and start doing things.

And it's possible to GET UP but not GET OUT OF BED.

EXAMPLE:

I got up at 8am and replied to emails on my phone for 30 minutes before getting out of bed.

Do you usually get out of bed right when you wake up, or do you usually stay in bed for a while?

Edit: After talking to native English speakers from different places, I see now that many people do use GET UP to mean GET OUT OF BED

However, just like I showed you in my example, we do not ALWAYS mean GET OUT OF BED when we say GET UP.


Thank you very much for reading this blog post. I hope you like it. And one more thing, if you have any problem regarding this post so, you can comment us. We will definitely solve your problem. Don't forget to share this article with your love ones. 💓

Mr. Yousaf Ali

I am delighted to have you here. As an avid English Teacher, Blogger, and YouTuber, I find joy in exploring and sharing my passions with the world.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post